Dropdownlist fix still very slow

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:39 PM
Edited Nov 12, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Hello,

I followed all of the directions on the http://fastlistadapter.codeplex.com page and I am not seeing any difference in performance with a dropdownlist.  Without an UpdatePanel, a ddl with almost 12,000 entries loads in a flash but when I put it on an UpdatePanel, it takes at least 30 seconds to load the control.

Relevant portions of code are below:

<asp:ObjectDataSource ID="dsGetClients" runat="server" TypeName="BALHelper" SelectMethod="GetClients">

:

:

<div style="width:380px; height:600px;">

<asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel2" runat="server" UpdateMode="Conditional">

<ContentTemplate>

<asp:FormView ID="formMyTasks" runat="server" DataSourceID="dsGetTaskByID">

<EditItemTemplate>

:

:

<td colspan="3" style="width:200px">
                          <asp:DropDownList Width="200px" ID="ddlClients" runat="server"
                                             DataSourceID="dsGetClients"
                                             DataTextField="ShortCompany" DataValueField="CustomerID"
                                             OnTextChanged="ddlClients_OnSelectedIndexChanged"
                                             OnSelectedIndexChanged="ddlClients_OnSelectedIndexChanged"
                                             AutoPostBack="true" />
</td>

:

From the code-behind (this is merely code to limit another ddl to contacts for the selected client in the above ddl - manual cascading - but this happens very quickly once the original ddl finally loads)

Protected Sub ddlClients_OnSelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
        Dim ddlClientContacts As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList

ddlClientContacts = Me.formMyTasks.FindControl("ddlClientContacts")
        ddlClientContacts.DataBind()
    End Sub

The only thing I believe that I have different in this case is that the control is located on a FormView.  Would that make a difference?  Esp. given how FormView controls get named with the form name's prefix?